Thursday, July 3, 2008

My Trip to New Orleans

5:30 ? 6:30 PM Closing, with remarks from President Clinton {Fogelman Arena} .

I came back from my trip to N.O. with a great impression. I met many young people very enthusiastic about making a difference. Many of the attendees actually had great ideas and plans. They wanted to do this and this and ... that...they wanted to change the world.

That scared me!!

Obviously, I was not scared because of their eagerness. In fact, I was scared because we all have great ideas and great plans for our lives and the world when we are young. We all have dreams for us, our families, and our countries. I will do this when I grow up, I will change that when I have finished doing this.... and life goes by and nothing really happens.

Don't get me wrong, I am not pessimistic!

But... many have left their dreams behind, many have gave up, many have forgotten what they promised themselves to do... And that's why I am scared. I have seen people enthusiastic about their dreams and so few have tried hard enough to make it happened. I am scared that one day, I will look back in my life and say nostalgically "well, I HAD dreams." I am scared to lose my enthusiasm along the road.

That's why...

...I get my inspiration from those who have tried even if they have not succeeded

...I celebrate my successes and learn from my mistakes and strive for excellence in every aspect of my life

...I keep my dreams alive, and think about them every day

...I try not to give up on my dreams by finding excuses

...I let myself get frustrated every time I feel like I am lazy or giving up

That is why I stay focus.

Will I make ALL my dreams come through? I doubt it. But I will try as hard as I can to make most of them come through.

Will I leave some of my dreams along the road? Probably. But I will try as hard as I can to keep with me the ones I really care about.

I hope I will have the strength and the inspiration. I know I will make it.

I also hope these young students I met at New Orleans will keep their passion. I hope, if not most, at least some of them will have the strength and inspiration to make it happen. One person can change the room, the city, the world. So, If only some of them can make it happen, the world will be better off.

Good Luck!

1 comment:

Beudean said...

"But I will try as hard as I can to keep with me the ones I really care about."

I don't know what to say, but I was impressed about this statement. And now I began to understand more.

We talked so much about the fact that we have dreams, but we never actually mentioned them. You don't mention them either in this article.

What are your dreams, Ayemi? Who is on your list of people that you will fight to keep with you? You talk about "procedure", but what is your goal in the end? who are the people you expect to be next to you? In my opinion, it's not about how to keep your dreams alive. The procedure is not so important, the dreams and the people are the most important part of all this talk about "dreams".